Using a MobileFirst Hybrid application as a container for server-generated pages
This tutorial covers the following topics:
- Migrating applications to IBM MobileFirst Platform Foundation
- Running your application on the Android emulator
- Running your application on the iOS emulator
- Sample application
Migrating applications to IBM MobileFirst Platform Foundation
- By using mobile web technology, you can deploy applications to the widest variety of devices.
- The existence of public application stores, such as Apple iTunes and Google Play, changes the way applications are hosted and marketed. These changes make traditional methods of distribution less relevant.
- IBM MobileFirst Platform Foundation provides the solution to build cross-platform applications that can be distributed through the application stores by using the hybrid application programming model.
Creating MobileFirst applications
From a terminal window, use the following CLI commands to add a project and application:
Next, add a required environment, for example Android:
In MobileFirst Studio, create a new project, "UsingApplicationAsAContainer"
A project might host multiple applications. However, in this tutorial, you use only one app:
You can set the target environments either while you are working in the MobileFirst Project wizard, or later.
IBM MobileFirst environments
- IBM MobileFirst Foundation provides a model for organizing the application project structure for each target environment (for example, Android, iPhone, iPad).
- You select your target environment through the MobileFirst Environment wizard.
IBM MobileFirst Common environment
- The simplest way to use MobileFirst apps as containers for server-generated pages is through the Common environment.
- Open the
application-descriptor.xmlfile and edit the
mainFiletag to point to
Running your application on the Android emulator
- Build the Android environment.
- Deploy the application.
- Right-click the generated Android project and click Run As > Android Application.
You can see that the
http://m.ibm.com URL is displayed in your Android emulator.
Running your application on the iOS emulator
- Deploy the application to your iOS emulator.
- Right-click the IOS environment and click Run As > Xcode project.
Click to download the sample.▲