IBM MobileFirst Foundation on IBM Cloud
Note: IBM Bluemix is now IBM Cloud. To know more, see here.
IBM Mobile Foundation can be hosted on IBM Cloud. Following is some basic information about IBM Cloud.
IBM Cloud is an implementation of IBM’s Open Cloud Architecture. It leverages Cloud Foundry to enable developers to rapidly build, deploy, and manage their cloud applications, while tapping a growing ecosystem of available services and runtime frameworks.
Learn more about the IBM Cloud architecture and IBM Cloud concepts here.
How does it work?
In a nutshell, there are two ways to run Mobile Foundation on IBM Cloud, depending on the type of license entitlement.
Note: IBM Containers service is now deprecated hence Mobile Foundation on IBM Containers is not supported. Learn more.
- IBM Cloud subscription or PayGo license: IBM Mobile Foundation on IBM Cloud service
- On Prem license: Use IBM provided scripts to set up an instance of IBM Mobile Foundation on Kubernetes Clusters or Liberty for Java runtime.
To run Mobile Foundation on a IBM Cloud Liberty for Java runtime, the following components are used: an Cloudfoundry app that contains a WebSphere Liberty installation, with a MobileFirst Server instance deployed to it.
Kubernetes Cluster on IBM Cloud
Kubernetes is an orchestration tool for scheduling app containers onto a cluster of compute machines. With Kubernetes, developers can rapidly develop highly available applications by leveraging the power and flexibility of containers. You can use the Kubernetes CLI to create and manage your Kubernetes clusters.
Liberty for Java runtime
The Liberty for Java runtime is powered by the liberty-for-java buildpack. The liberty-for-java buildpack provides a complete runtime environment for running applications on top of WebSphere Liberty profile. A command line interface is then used to manage your apps on IBM Cloud.
Tutorials to follow next
- Create a Mobile Foundation instance on IBM Cloud using IBM provided scripts using Kubernetes Cluster.
- Create a MobileFirst Server instance using the Mobile Foundation on IBM Cloud service.
- Create a MobileFirst Server instance on IBM Cloud using IBM provided scripts using Liberty