IBM MobileFirst Studio 8.0 Plug-in for Eclipse Now Available
The IBM MobileFirst Studio 8.0 Plug-in for Eclipse is now available in the Eclipse Marketplace!
Use this plug-in to manage your Cordova projects in the Eclipse development environment.
Installing and Using IBM MobileFirst Studio 8.0 and THyM plug-ins
To install, you must be running Eclipse Mars or later. In Eclipse go to Help -> Eclipse Marketplace and search for IBM MobileFirst Studio and install the 8.0 version. You also need to install Eclipse Thym 2.0.0 through the Eclipse Marketplace.
- Thym will allow you to import, create, and manage your Cordova projects, platforms and plugins.
- The MobileFirst Studio plug-in exposes the various MobileFirst commands in Eclipse IDE. Specifically, it provides the following commands: Open Server Console, Preview App, Register App, Encrypt App, Pull App, Push App, Update App.
Make sure you have the MobileFirst CLI installed, as the Eclipse plug-in is dependent on it to run its commands.
You also need to have a MobileFirst Server running, either locally in the developer machine or on Bluemix.
Creating a New Cordova Project in Eclipse
- Click File -> New -> Other…
- Select Hybrid Mobile (Cordova) Application Project in the Mobile directory and click Next
- Name the project and click Next.
- Add the desired platform for your project and click Finish
Importing an Existing Cordova Project
- Click File -> Import…
- Select Import Cordova Project in the Mobile directory and click Next
- Click Browse… and select the root directory of the existing Cordova project
- Ensure the project is checked in the “Projects:” section and click Finish
Adding the MobileFirst Foundation Cordova SDK to your Cordova Project
- In the Project Explorer expand your cordova project, right-click the plugins directory, and select Install Cordova Plug-in
- In the Registry tab of the dialog box, search mfp and select cordova-plugin-mfp
- Click Finish
Using the MobileFirst Commands
To access MobileFirst Foundation’s shortcuts, right-click the root project directory and navigate to IBM MobileFirst Foundation. Here you will be able to select the available MobileFirst commands for your project:
|Menu option||Action||MobileFirst command-line interface equivalent|
|Open Server Console||When the server definition exists, opens the console so you can view the actions of the specified server.||mfpdev server console|
|Preview App||Opens the app in the browser preview mode.||Opens the app in the browser preview mode.|
|Register App||Registers the app with the server that is specified in your server definitions.||mfpdev app register|
|Encrypt App||Runs the web resource encryption tool on your app.||mfpdev app webencrypt|
|Pull App||Retrieves the existing app configuration from the server that is specified in the server definition.||mfpdev app pull|
|Push App||Sends the app configuration of your current app to the server that is specified in the build definition so you can reuse it for another app.||mfpdev app push|
|Updated App||Packages the contents of the www folder in a .zip file, and replaces the version on the server with the package.||mfpdev app webupdate|
Learn more in the Using the MobileFirst CLI in Eclipse tutorial.