Previewing your application on BlackBerry 6 and 7
In this tutorial the following topics are covered.
As a pre-requisite, read the "Previewing your application's web resources" tutorial.
- Preview the application in the BlackBerry Ripple Emulator
- Run the application in a physical device or simulator
Preview the application in the BlackBerry Ripple Emulator
To preview the application in the Ripple Emulator, Ripple must first be installed. Ripple is a Chrome extension that can be downloaded and installed from the Chrome Web Store. Once Ripple is installed, follow these steps.
- Preview the BlackBerry environment from the MobileFirst Console by clicking the "eye" icon, then click Open Simple Preview .
- Enable Ripple by clicking Enable from the extension's menu in Chrome.
- If you get the following screen, choose WebWorks (2.0.0) to proceed with previewing the application.
The page refreshes and the environment's web resources are displayed in the Ripple Emulator:
Run the application in a physical device or simulator
Before proceeding, you must have the BlackBerry WebWorks SDK installed.
For more information, see the Setting up your BlackBerry 6 and 7 development environment tutorial.
In Ripple, on the right menu, click Build, and then click Settings... at the bottom.
Next, enter the following details:
SDK Path: Path where BlackBerry WebWorks SDK is installed
- Project root: The root folder of your project. To find the root folder, right-click the native folder in your Eclipse blackberry environment and select Properties
- Archive Name: The name for your archive
- Output Folder: The folder where to output the application. Specify a folder outside your project
- Password: Sign your app with a BlackBerry developer certificate to run it on a BlackBerry handset. Specify your certificate password here. Signing is NOT required to run the application in the BlackBerry Simulator
- Simulator: Optional. You can select a simulator that is automatically called after your application is packaged.
After the package settings are defined, open the Ripple menu in Chrome and click start services. Then select one of the Packaging options.▲