Prerequisite: Make sure to read the Adapters Overview tutorial first.
Each adapter consists of the following elements:
- An XML file, which describes the connectivity options and lists the procedures that are exposed to the application or other adapters
- Zero, one, or more XSL files, which contain a transformation scheme for retrieved raw XML data
Data that is retrieved by an adapter can be returned raw or preprocessed by the adapter itself. In either case, it is presented to the application as a JSON object.
- To provide adapter functions to the application
- To call back-end services to retrieve data or to perform actions
You can apply more filtering to retrieved data by using simple XSLT code.
name:Mandatory. The name of the adapter
displayName: Optional. The name that is displayed in the MobileFirst Console
description: Optional. Additional information that is displayed in the MobileFirst Console
- Defines the connection properties and load constraints of the back-end system.
- When the back-end system requires user authentication, defines how user credentials are obtained.
procedure: Declares a service for accessing a back-end application. One entry for each adapter procedure.
Using global variables
Depending on your infrastructure and configuration, your MobileFirst server may be running with
SessionIndependent set to true, where each request may reach a different node and HTTP sessions are not used.
In such cases you should not rely on global variables to keep data from one request to the next.