Updating the MobileFirst server
IBM MobileFirst Platform Foundation provides several components that you might have installed.
Here is a description of their dependencies to update them:
MobileFirst Server Administration Service, MobileFirst Operations Console, and MobileFirst runtime environment
These three components compose as MobileFirst Server. They must be updated together.
The installation of this component is optional. This component is independent of the other components. It can be run at a different interim fix level than the others if needed.
MobileFirst Operational Analytics
The installation of this component is optional. The MobileFirst components send data to MobileFirst Operational Analytics via a REST API. It is preferable to run MobileFirst Operational Analytics with the other components of MobileFirst Server of the same interim fix level.
Updating MobileFirst Server Administration Service, MobileFirst Operations Console, and MobileFirst runtime environment
You can update these components in two ways:
- With Server Configuration Tool
- With Ant tasks
The updating procedure depends on the method you used at the initial installation.
Note: Installation Manager(IM) does not support rolling back of an update/iFix. However, rollback is possible using Ant or Server Configuration Tool, if you have the old war files.
Applying a fix pack by using the Server Configuration Tool
If MobileFirst Server is installed with the configuration tool and the configuration file is kept, you can apply a fix pack or an interim fix by reusing the configuration file.
- Start the Server Configuration Tool.
- On Linux, from application shortcuts Applications → IBM MobileFirst Platform Server → Server Configuration Tool.
- On Windows, click Start → Programs → IBM MobileFirst Platform Server → Server Configuration Tool.
- On macOS, open a shell console. Go to mfp_server_install_dir/shortcuts and type ./configuration-tool.sh.
- The mfp_server_install_dir directory is where you installed MobileFirst Server.
- Click Configurations → Replace the deployed WAR files and select an existing configuration to apply the fix pack or an interim fix.
Applying a fix pack by using the Ant files
Updating with the sample Ant file
If you use the sample Ant files that are provided in the mfp_install_dir/MobileFirstServer/configuration-samples directory to install MobileFirst Server, you can reuse a copy of this Ant file to apply a fix pack. For password values, you can enter 12 stars (*) instead of the actual value, to be prompted interactively when the Ant file is run.
- Verify the value of the mfp.server.install.dir property in the Ant file. It must point to the directory that contains the product with the fix pack applied. This value is used to take the updated MobileFirst Server WAR files.
- Run the command:
mfp_install_dir/shortcuts/ant -f your_ant_file update
Updating with own Ant file
If you use your own Ant file, make sure that for each installation task (installmobilefirstadmin, installmobilefirstruntime, and installmobilefirstpush), you have a corresponding update task in your Ant file with the same parameters. The corresponding update tasks are updatemobilefirstadmin, updatemobilefirstruntime, and updatemobilefirstpush.
- Verify the class path of the taskdef element for the mfp-ant-deployer.jar file. It must point to the mfp-ant-deployer.jar file in an MobileFirst Server installation that the fix pack is applied. By default, the updated MobileFirst Server WAR files are taken from the location of mfp-ant-deployer.jar.
- Run the update tasks (updatemobilefirstadmin, updatemobilefirstruntime, and updatemobilefirstpush) of your Ant file.