Installation and Configuration
IBM Mobile Foundation provides development tools and server-side components that you can install on-premises or deploy to the cloud for test or production use. Review the installation topics appropriate for your installation scenario.
Setting up a development environment
Using the MobileFirst Developer Kit
The MobileFirst Developer Kit includes everything required to run and debug mobile applications on a personal workstation. To develop an application using the MobileFirst Developer Kit, follow the Setting up the MobileFirst development environment tutorial.
Using the Mobile Foundation on IBM Cloud
The Mobile Foundation on IBM Cloud service provides functionality similar to the MobileFirst Developer Kit, however the service runs on IBM Cloud.
Setting up the development environment for Mobile Foundation applications
Mobile Foundation provides vast flexibility regarding the platforms and tools that can be used to develop Mobile Foundation applications. However, some basic setup is required to enable the chosen tools to interact with Mobile Foundation.
Select from the following links to set up the development environment corresponding to the development approach that the application will use:
- Set-up the Cordova development environment
- Set-up the iOS development environment
- Set-up the Android development environment
- Set-up the Windows development environment
- Set-up the Xamarin development environment
- Set-up the Web development environment
Setting up a test or production server on-premises
The first part of installing the Mobile Foundation Server uses an IBM product called IBM Installation Manager. IBM Installation Manager v1.8.4 or later must be installed before installing the Mobile Foundation Server components.
Important: Ensure that you use IBM Installation Manager V1.8.4 or later. The older versions of Installation Manager are not able to install Mobile Foundation V8.0 because the post-installation operations of the product require Java 7. The older versions of Installation Manager come with Java 6.
The MobileFirst Server installation wizard uses IBM Installation Manager to place all of the server components onto the server. Tools and libraries are also installed that are required to deploy the Mobile Foundation Server components to the application server. As a best practice do not install all of the components on the same application server instance, except in the case of a development server. The deployment tools allow for selection of the components to install. Please see the Topologies and Network flows for points to consider before installing the server.
Please read below for information on preparing and installing MobileFirst Server and optional services on your specific environment. For a simple set up, please read Setting up a test or production environment tutorial.
- Verifying prerequisites
- MobileFirst Server components overview
- Factors to consider, before loading tools and libraries to deploy MobileFirst Server components, and Application Centre optionally
- Token license
- MobileFirst Foundation Application Centre
- Administrator versus user mode
- Distribution structure of MobileFirst Server after file loading
- Loading files by
- using IBM Installation Manager Install wizard
- running IBM Installation Manager in command line
- using XML response files - silent installation
- Configuring backend databases for MobileFirst Foundation Server components
- Installing MobileFirst Server to an application server
- Configuring MobileFirst Server
- Installing MobileFirst Analytics Server
- Installing MobileFirst Analytics Receiver Server
- Installing Application Center
- Deploying MobileFirst Server on IBM PureApplication System
Setting up a test or production environment
Learn about the MobileFirst Server installation process by going through the instructions to create a functional MobileFirst Server cluster with two nodes on WebSphere Application Server Liberty profile. The installation can be completed by using the graphical tools (GUI) or via the command line.
- GUI mode installation with IBM Installation Manager and the Server Configuration Tool .
- Command line Installation with command line tool.
After completing the installation using either of the two methods above, further configuration may be required to complete the setup depending on the requirements.
Setting up optional features on your test or production environment
Mobile Foundation includes optional components that may be used to augment your test or production environment. Please see the following tutorials for more information:
- Installing and Configuring the MobileFirst Analytics Server
- Installing and Configuring the MobileFirst Analytics Receiver Server
- Installing and Configuring the MobileFirst Application Center
Deploying a MobileFirst Server test or production environment on the cloud
If you plan to deploy MobileFirst Server to the cloud, see the following options:
Upgrading from earlier versions
For information about upgrading existing installations and applications to a newer version, see Upgrading to IBM Mobile Foundation V8.0.▲